SuperChats on PeerTube!

Let’s discuss:
What is the best (PeerTube supported) alternative to SuperChats available now?

Are you referring to Manage YouTube Super Chat & Super Stickers for Live Chat - YouTube Help ?

1 « J'aime »

Are you asking what Super Chats are?

Well, I am :smiley:

1 « J'aime »

Yes - I don’t know what Super Chats are

This thread is for people who know what Super Chats are and/or are willing to do a few minutes of research to find out.

9 « J'aime »

OK. Now, this is an alternative to superchats : superdog!

4 « J'aime »

Despite the OP being somewhat of an ass about it (learn some netiquette), I do think that super chats are fundamentally a good idea. It does require solving an underlying problem though: monetisation in the first place. There is the AirTime plugin, but I can imagine not many people being very enthousiastic about it (I certainly am not, as it only creates barriers for my audience).

So far, I’ve been working with a custom donation plugin on my website which supports the payment system popular in the Netherlands (iDEAL) and will seek to integrate that further once I install my own instance (really looking forward to version 3.0!).

1 « J'aime »

I think calling someone an ass and trolling their thread is bad etiquette, but maybe I’m just old fashioned. And perhaps those that are unwilling to research the basic feature set of their competitors software are selling their own software short - not a messenger asking a question.

And maybe just confirming that @rigelk found what you were talking about is basic politeness instead of saying « just know what it is or do the search ». Rigelk did search and was asking for confirmation, nothing more.

YOU are asking for a feature, the least you can do is provide some pointers to avoid those who want to help to search what the hell you’re talking about.

3 « J'aime »

I agree with @Framasky and with @Q-collective calling out your behavior: you could have handled that better, what seems obvious to you isn’t obvious for everyone else. Please have some respect for your fellow forum neighbors or leave.

Back to your topic, Framasoft is adamant about monetization: it won’t happen in the core code of PeerTube. PeerTube is a video hosting and streaming tool, not a video monetizing tool. Google mixed both together to serve their agenda (selling ads placements), we aim for another strategy.

That just means that people wanting SuperChats (or any kind of monetization tool) in PeerTube need to develop it as a plugin. And they need to do it themselves, as we won’t allow time nor resources to such features.

One last advice to those who’d like to develop such a tool: please include in your first draft moderation tools. I’ve been a YouTuber, and I can tell you from experience that having your video chat raided by trolls an jokesters is actually no joke, and that you need to develop lots of tools to prevent such messes.

1 « J'aime »

See this is the problem with coming in someone’s thread and pointing the finger at them; you’re projecting. Your comprehension is low and there’s nothing I can do about that. I didn’t ask for a feature anywhere - or else please point me to where I asked for a feature. This is merely a discussion concerning SuperChat analogous functionality using PeerTube - feasibility, etc. So, if it is officially disallowed, then the discussion will have to be a feasibility discussion about plugins, for example. Or comparison to difficulty of implementation in OBS vs PeerTube…

Yes it goes beyond the superchats itself… The ability to livestream using OBS or similar requires the ability to ban (hopefully by IP considering this is self hosted). YouTube’s implementation is decent, but a self hosted version could be much better because users would have control over their own profiles and it wouldn’t be limited by country and by PayPal support (as YouTube is).

Indeed, you didn’t asked for a feature, my mistake.

But the point is that you initiated a discussion and don’t want to even confirm that the thing rigelk found is what you want to talk about.

1 « J'aime »

Please: it is time to stop diverting the conversation by complaining / posting cat & dog memes. I would be very surprised to learn that any main developer of PeerTube does not know what superchats are - and if you’re not a main developer, then just humble yourself.

I’m only asking for some discussion on the potential of a superchat-like mechanism outside of YouTube. @Pouhiou says it must be developed as a plugin, and I’ll take his word for it.

Are there any integrations of PeerTube with livestreaming software?
Are PeerTube plugins outside the scope of this forum?

It’s coming : https://joinpeertube.org/roadmap/

Documentation about plugins is here : PeerTube documentation

1 « J'aime »

You are right: one way to end such diversion would be to acknowledge that your behavior was insensitive and ill-advised, and apologize.

There you go: you can stand corrected.

Yup: one of the main developer of PeerTube didn’t know what SuperChats are, and they told you so here. Yup: you just projected your culture and your expectations on someone else.

It’s OK, really: everyone does it. But sometimes, all you need to move on is to say « I’m sorry ».

One more thing, because we really need to clear the air: you don’t get to say « This thread is for people who ». It is not your forum. It is our place (us = Framasoft) and one of our rules is to be respectful or your service neighbors.

You dismissed someone asking for information and saying they didn’t know about superchats. Your dismissal was really disrespectful, so the forum soften the blow with jokes (BTW to get the joke, please know that « chats » is the French for « cats »).

I understand that you didn’t mean to be disrespectful: you just couldn’t imagine that one of the maindev of PeerTube didn’t know about superchats. But PeerTube devs don’t spent their time on YouTube, you know.

Anyway, even though you didn’t mean to be disrespectful, you were. It happens. It’s OK. If you want this topic to go back on rails, please have a glass of water, say I’m sorry, and we’ll all be able to move on.

2 « J'aime »

« if you want this topic to go back on rails, please have a glass of water, say I’m sorry, and we’ll all be able to move on. » - I don’t see how this is acceptable behavior.

You’re basically saying that you won’t stop disrupting my thread until I kneel to your authoritarian & disruptive behavior. Nope; I have no way of knowing that you won’t continue doing this same thing after I kneel; in fact all evidence points to the fact that you’ll continue. Perhaps consider turning this light of judgement around so that it shines on yourself.