Avoid transcoding of videos

I have shot several hours of videos that I am about to cut and encode with a custom ffmpeg script, on a powerful machine.

What output format should I use in order to prevent transcoding while uploading on my PeerTube instance ?

Ideally, I would like to use the CLI in a script to upload all the pieces, together with some title & description : is that possible ?

Thanks for your help

example:

ffmpeg -i in.avi -ss 00:00:03 -t 00:00:08 -b 2M -vcodec libvpx -acodec libvorbis -ab 160M -f webm -g 30 out.webm

1 « J'aime »

Hi @RaphaelJ

If you own the instance, you can disable transcoding and upload the video with the upload tool. But if you want to make multiple resolutions of your video available, there is currently no other option than activating the transcoding and sadly it doesn’t yet allow to upload pre-transcoded files for each resolution.

1 « J'aime »

Uploaded a first video to open.tube instance yesterday, it was formatted as ogg/theora. After 18 hours it is still transcoding. What format does peertube use, I’d routher render the video myself to avoid thing like that, and where do I find the technical pages to get informed before uploading again?
My video doesn’t play well at all on peertube open.tube instance.

Perhaps with: https://github.com/Chocobozzz/PeerTube/blob/develop/support/doc/tools.md#create-import-video-file-jobjs

I never tried, I just remembered seeing this tool in the documentation. I don’t know exactly what this script is doing.