Edit comments ?

Is it planned to support editing comments or is it Peertube’s paradigm to not allow it ?

We could add comment editing yes, there is nothing in peertube that would not allow it :slight_smile:

Please create an issue: https://github.com/Chocobozzz/PeerTube/issues/new

1 « J'aime »

Done : https://github.com/Chocobozzz/PeerTube/issues/499

Yeah @ChameleonScales , sorry about the spam flag, it’s because of a bad bot (you tried to post several links pointing to github.com and it triggered it). I fixed your answer, and I’m gonna try and see about the bot settings.

BTW,
I moved this topic to the new english speaking PeerTube category of this forum :wink: .

1 « J'aime »

Hi,

I’ve had a look to the issue https://github.com/Chocobozzz/PeerTube/issues/499.

I understand the point that deleting a comment which has replies, have the effect to delete all replies, and that’s not what we want, but why not ?

=> Moderating comments are a real nightmare, for our instance, we talked about it recently and some communities are often targeted by other communites to spam or harass someone. Mute feature is good (for the instance where we want the comment to be muted) but only the admin can do it for all the instance. We thought about 3 new features :

• Edit our own comment (didn’t get why we can’t do it on PeerTube, cause of federation ?)
  • A Markdown editor (like descriptions)
  • Multiple comments deletion
  • editing comments: comments could be edited even with federation, it’s just that we chose not to, for reasons similar to Mastodon (past replies could have been made for a completely different content). retro-compatibility will be problematic with past PeerTube intsances. not sure Mastodon supports Note updates.
  • markdown editor like in the admin: yes, but it shouldn’t be as bulky as the one in the admin. Mockups welcome :slight_smile:
  • multiple comments deletion: yes! Selection of multiple comments is just difficult to do in the UI, so we left that for later.
1 « J'aime »

editing comments: comments could be edited even with federation, it’s just that we chose not to, for reasons similar to Mastodon (past replies could have been made for a completely different content). retro-compatibility will be problematic with past PeerTube intsances. not sure Mastodon supports Note updates.

Maybe behind an update we can delete the comment and re-create a new ? but it may break a tree comment ? Or simply do no authorize update on tree comments.

markdown editor like in the admin: yes, but it shouldn’t be as bulky as the one in the admin. Mockups welcome

Yes I agree, just basics markdown : bold / italic / links (images could break the UI), some people in QueerMotion talked about markdown emojis (maybe another feature).

Wouldn’t it break too the retro-compatibility ? we should store a text and an marked version in database ?

multiple comments deletion: yes! Selection of multiple comments is just difficult to do in the UI, so we left that for later.

Oh yes I forgot that point, maybe a special view could be best in account or moderation admin ?

A dedicated moderation view for video creators and instance moderators is something we already have on our roadmap for v2.4 with its focus on moderation ! :smiley: But any help on it is welcome - it would allow us to polish moderation tools even more.

Here is my suggestion: delete and re-create new (easy to implement since it just needs frontend adaptations), update in place possible only if no replies in thread (otherwise we fall back to the previous option), update in place possible with moderation approval (long to implement). What I call « update in place » means that no creation of a new Note object is done, but we instead emit an update activity for the existing object. Update in place, even when submitted with moderation approval, needs to keep track of some sort of history of the object’s content, much like when one edits their post on this forum, anyone can see the previous versions. That would require some UI work, and of course, history storage in the db.

1 « J'aime »

A dedicated moderation view for video creators and instance moderators is something we already have on our roadmap for v2.4 with its focus on moderation ! :smiley: But any help on it is welcome - it would allow us to polish moderation tools even more.

Thanks, I will help you this summer =), this is a top priority for 2 years now for queers communities.

Here is my suggestion: delete and re-create new (easy to implement since it just needs frontend adaptations), update in place possible only if no replies in thread (otherwise we fall back to the previous option), update in place possible with moderation approval (long to implement). What I call « update in place » means that no creation of a new Note object is done, but we instead emit an update activity for the existing object. Update in place, even when submitted with moderation approval, needs to keep track of some sort of history of the object’s content, much like when one edits their post on this forum, anyone can see the previous versions. That would require some UI work, and of course, history storage in the db.

It sounds good, I will check the code to get a better understanding. Also the UI will be different for old PeerTube versions, we should define a default display for these versions.