Ah, that’s unfortunate.
As for my story… Hmm… I’m in Australia, and have been annoyed by Facebook for a long while, but still use it to host events and to see events made by others in the Auslan Community. (Auslan is the local sign language in Australia). Just a regular « Saturday » meet in the park, really. Very casual.
So I’m checking out Mobilizon, I still might not end up with it (There’s a few other options, eg, « just a telegram chatroom » might be more than enough).
Actually Mobilizon has a few problems with our group, sadly…
- It requires a login, and it seems people aren’t keen to create a new account unless they know what they’re coming in for. Ie, they’re sticking to whatever accounts they already have.
- Actually, speaking about a login, it seems these users are confused when they see the Group page first, and then are presented with « Log in », or « use a federated account ». Perhaps it would be easier if they were to see « Create Account » right there, as well. It’s a pity there’s no option to « sign in with gmail », or « sign in with Facebook », etc. (I realise that these are commercial entities we’re trying to avoid, but these are still a form of federation, and many people hate creating accounts).
- Video support is poor, and you can’t express Auslan without video.
I’m still checking things out but it seems that the dealbreaker is that the group is unwilling to move, and I can’t (and don’t want to) force them!
- Actually none of them have created accounts on the test instance.
- Several also don’t like Facebook, but I think they’re happy enough with Telegram. (You can « Pin » a message - eg, a screenshot or text description of an event, so there’s that).
Very few of these people are « first movers », they’re not technical people and are quite busy with their own lives, they don’t think much about websites and stuff at all.
Anyway, so that’s my story here.