Increase video processing speed

Hello everybody!
I want to increase the speed of video uploading to the server and the speed of video processing, but for this I want to understand how to use hard drives correctly and where it is better to place directories.

At the moment I have 2 HDDs, each disk has a size of 3TB, ZFS Mirror file system. There is also a 1TB SSD that I want to use for temporary file storage.

The entire « storage » folder resides on a large RAID with a total size of 3TB (because it is a mirror). The read and write speed does not suit me, video processing is slow.

I want to transfer some directories to the SSD, so I need your help to figure out which directories I can transfer to the SSD? And will it help to increase the speed of transcoding?
For example, while video is being processed, it will be in a temporary directory on the SSD, and after processing it will be moved to another directory, which is located on a regular HDD.

Hello,

Putting tmp on your SSD should help: PeerTube/production.yaml.example at develop · Chocobozzz/PeerTube · GitHub

But I don’t want to store all files on the SSD, I only want to use it for temporary directories while the video is being processed.

tmp: '/var/www/peertube/storage/tmp/'

This directory will store the video BEFORE processing it, and I need it to be on the SSD during processing.

I have now checked where the files will be located during processing at different stages. Now I understand how it works …

When the file is downloaded, it is located in the folder

/var/www/peertube/storage/tmp/resumable-uploads

Optimization of the file starts immediately after the download, at this time the file is located in the folder

/var/www/peertube/storage/tmp/

After optimization, transcoding begins into different permissions, which are activated by the administrator, at this time the file is moved to the folder

/var/www/peertube/storage/tmp/hls

and is in this directory until the end of transcoding.
And at the very end, the file is moved to the main directory

/var/www/peertube/storage/streaming-playlists

So I can confidently correct the path for the tmp directory in the configuration file-) Thank you!

Maybe you need to correct the description of this directory? Indicate that the directory is used during processing, not before processing.

I added that note