Open.tube is down

Originally, I posted this on

Hi!

Open.tube is down, for at least one hour, right now.
It is now August 24th 2020

I very much like French, but can’s speak it. I speak/write the lingua franca of this day: English. [1]

I have a few videos posted on open.tube.

Pls. can anybody, tell what happened with open.tube?

Is it a tansient fault, or, God forbid, permanent…?

Thanks!

[1] In other centuries it was French the world language, yet other it was Spanish and Portugese, way longer before it was the predecessor of today’s Italian, the Latin. Centuries from now it will be some other language, probably…

Hi,

Each server that run Peertube, have some time down hours or day, more time to update the software. Instead of Youtube or other video platform, i advice you to keep the email adress of the admin to the server. It is more helpfull that ask to Framasoft or this forum, anyone know more than the people that manage Open.tube or other Peertube server.

1 « J'aime »

Thanks.
However, I have posted a dozen or so videos over probably one year, always in different times of day, and check-accessed those in yet other times, and never have I encountered a time in which they would be down for this long.

Never.

And they are still down.

On duck.com it is hard to find much about peer2peer, other then where it’s commercially used…

If it is down, it’s not likely the admin would get my email either, so…

So, if not ask here, does anybody have a suggestion where to ask about this open.tube downtime?

The reply to that will be very welcome.

They are still down.

(Pls. note I will be happy to let eventual reader know as soon as they are back online.

I don’t want centralized video hoster anymore, I have been happy with Peertube and with Open.Tube.

A downtime can happen to anyone… other than big business.

But I do not want to let any of the big business into my world, all the same.)

In the interest of users and the future acceptance of PeerTube, this should have been done. It just should have been done. Just done.
I.e. somebody should have done it. It is not necessarily you who should have done it, but…

But it was before you, right there, you almost did it, and then…

If this kind of mistake keeps repeating…

And a similar scenario possibly [1] the https://open.tube instance … i.e. if open.tube remains down, and nobody does nothing… and if because of qualms and scrupules all the users lose their data…

( BTW. open.tube is still down as I write this. Never ever has this happened in the last year, to my knowledge.)

But of course, the contrary can happen too. The mistake to never happen again… The users’ data to be relinquished and restore somewhere…

[1] Open.tube is down
well, let’s see, it’s been only s few hours, unannounced, maybe they only have a hiccup…

For me, it is running (17h later) :wink:

The server of Open.tube is up now, you can ask to the admin why this day/hours of downtime. Maybe an upgrade to Peertube or about the storage. I can give an advice, as all server to use Peertube/Mastodon and other, it is wise to have a main and a backup. Behind, it can be, a group of person or an only. It can be close at anytime because of the cost or the time to manage it.

Thanks @tdi and of course you @shikaruko.
I just sent an email to the admin.
Firstly I thanked him (I don’t know, so « him » from here applies for « her », if it is her instead) for his service.
Then I told him I started this worried topic (I mean I gave him the link to here), and asked if he could tell us about the downtime.
And also I asked about an exit strategy should his server go permanently down, or, what to call it, maybe better salvage strategy.

I haven’t tracked whether it was down or not each day since, but when I did, open.tube was up.
I didn’t get any replies from the admin, so far.

But I was wondering: for cases like this, which is hopefully just a little suspense and short unavailability, and like the other one:

which is the nightmare if that should happen…

Is there a strategy, at some socio-tech level, with you developers of p2p at framacolibri? Things like this one with open.tube, and especially the other case, with the now defunct https://peertube.video/about/instance (currently dead link) will drive users away if you developers/planners/other people at Framasoft or elsewhere in the decentralized loosely knit community do not make up something, some rescue mode, some safety net, some way for authors and users to be safe with their content.

Thank you for your kind consideration!

Resilience is done by copying the videos elsewhere. This comes at the cost of losing the capacity for an author to delete their videos, which is why we prefer communities to organize their own solutions around the problem rather than force an automated solution on each and everyone.

Having answers at a server/community level is much more flexible, albeit requiring some community to exist in the first place. If your admin is not answering, I strongly advise you to look for a more responsive admin and supportive community.

If you have an idea for a non-intrusive (that doesn’t warrant loosing control over videos long term) technical solution, then please open an issue on the issue tracker at Sign in to GitHub · GitHub

1 « J'aime »

Developing story was:

Security questions in concrete login and other problems

And I hope it still is developing (hope that this is not an end yet, I mean they probably can recover):
Peertube open.tube instance powned. Anybody can alert the admin?

and:
My Account at Open.Tube Peertube Instance Compromized
https://www.croatiafidelis.hr/foss/cap/cap-210216-open-tube/

I am using this old topic, because it’s the same issue of unreliability.

News is:
https://libre.video/
appears in trouble, I get:

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Pale Moon to connect securely to libre.video, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

in my browser.

However, I posted videos on libre.video after I had the powning/spoofing issue with open.tube and I selected it from:

And still, my videos, the duplicate videos of the videos that should appear at:
https://www.vankina2-10.com/vodomjeri/
and they are four, and I uploaded them on libre.video again, after selecting it from https://joinpeertube.org/instances (libre.video does not list there at this time)
are again lost…

I understand the position of Peertube devs, and I have to agree to it, liking it or not, it’s their decision.

But I think it is good to notify other potential users of (potentially) bad instances, and I do not see where (in the world) else to notify other users of (potentially) bad instances but publicly on framasoft.org or affiliated domains like this one, framacolibri.org .

So I strongly oppose unlisting issues like this (my Security questions in concrete login and other problems is unlisted), so instead of users being warned, they can go and trap themselves into open.tube or to libre.video or other bad instances likely very easily.

It really would be good to have a health status page/ML/something-other somewhere by Framasoft, and notifications sent to subscribed users.

Something like, say, Tor project has, on bad nodes.

Lastly, I wish Peertube to thrive, I really do, You are the only option left for users aware of the GAFAM usurpation on our lives.

Honestly most of that is covered by PeerTube own nature of being federated. For example redundancy as a server configuration allows most, if not all of the problems you mentioned to be alleviated. It does mean though that administrators of instance trust each other rather than being isolated node of a loosely connected network.

I think what you mention makes sense but IMO most of the solutions are technically available today. What is missing is our own ability to educate ourselves about it then organize accordingly.

PS: you can mark the thread with a solution since open.tube is not down anymore. If you want to discuss more in depth redundancy I suggest opening a dedicated thread starting by showing was is already feasible then the limits and their practical consequences.

1 « J'aime »

It does not appear to me to be the case. You seem to not have understood, actually you probably have not followed any links I gave, and then what I wrote you failed to understand.

Javascript (or PHP) to redirect to a duplicate instance is the only solution to this case. The thing is, my approach is like https://archive.org the Wayback Machine, only I do not have that kind of aptitude. I want my pages to last longer than a season, as is the case for some of my websites, and it is so without an issue, for some 100 euro to a hoster yearly. See at least just croatiafidelis.hr domain links and browse it to see that some content is there for years and years.
So the solution is not in the following by Peertube program, because in these cases, open.tube redirecting or not showing my content, depends on which of my account there the video is on, and libre.video being under « This Connection is Untrusted » (checked just now), is not solved by following.

True. Javascript or PHP to use redirection to a duplicate of a spoofed or powned peertube instance. And serious redundancy, if the devs or the communify do not offer better. Such as posting twice, or in my case, the third time, and redirecting if previous link is dead/bad.

(Quoting stopped working (in the preview; Pale Moon browser I use, up to date, so using manual quoting)
« PS: you can mark the thread with a solution since open.tube is not down anymore. »

No, I could rather rename the topic, because the problem evolved from open.tube being just down (for not really much longer than expected) to open,tube going powned or spoofed and from duplicate videos put on libre.video being possibly lost because of bad certificates.

And no, because the problem is here, and shown in depth technically. But study the links that I gave.
And here’s a plethora of more links to see the current state of open.tube, which I haven’t given yet in any of the linked pages, so the readers following here, have something new to check:
CM4 on CM4IO with Auvidea B102 play dead
where there are a lot of links to videos on open.tube peertube instance, none shows, some redirect to the same stupid video as in the « Peertube open.tube instance powned. Anybody can alert the admin? » that I gave.

« If you want to discuss more in depth redundancy I suggest opening a dedicated thread starting by showing was is already feasible then the limits and their practical consequences. »

No, I think it’s here, because the problem shows glaringly clear.

And thanks for discussing in English. It’s the only way to go. Look at the Chinese, they’re bound to world domination but they do it all in English, they’re not imposing they’re language, but their prowess… Gosh! Not good, I don’t like communism… And look at what happens to Ruby the programming language because Japanese wouldn’t anglicize, so to speak… Pls., you French, don’t do the same. Go English, to have greater following… Unless, that is, you want to stay in France and the few French speaking countries only…

No, the issue is here.

Hello, is somebody knows the open.tube status?

Today, open.tube is down.

I am using a FreeCAD add-on called MOOC which makes reference to video on this Peertube instance

Thank you in advance for any information.

It’s been dead as a dodo for more than two years.
The domain appears to have been sold, on top of that.
See my previous posts, if you’re interested in this case study on how websites die.
And on domain having been sold, compare:
https://www.croatiafidelis.hr/foss/cap/cap-210216-open-tube/
where you can see who was the owner (not the powner, but legal owner) of it,
with what you will get if you run (in Linux, or some similar line if other OS):

whois open.tube

or better yet:

whois open.tube |grep -v 'REDACTED FOR PRIVACY'