Questions about available functionality

[As a new user, I may only add two links. Therefore I’ve used “dot” for some links.]

Hi all. I’d like to ask some questions about PeerTube’s functionality. But let me start by congratulating you on the successful crowdfunding campaign! I’m happy that I can write I was one of the backers.

Our plan is to launch a PeerTube instance on freespeechtube dot org (and fstube dot org) late 2018 or early 2019, using your first stable release. This will be on a solid VPS that runs CentOS 7 and includes cPanel/WHM. I’ve toyed with PeerTube some month ago, then considered using Plumi or MediaDrop, briefly tried to set up CumulusClips (unsuccessfully; cumulusclips . org/forums/discussion/1986/session-start-causes-hang), and eventually circled back to PeerTube.

Nonprofit foundation “Stichting FreeSpeechTube” (sfstube dot nl) is providing the (financial, technical and legal) means to get/keep the instance up and running. Both our organization and video platform reside in the Netherlands.

In order to comply with various laws, including the European GDPR, a bunch of pages and certain functionality will have to be included on the PeerTube website. My first question is, which of the following does PeerTube already provide, either in part (e.g. templates) or fully?

• General disclaimer
  • Cookie statement
  • Terms of use
  • Privacy policy
  • Video removal request form
  • Content warning (or age-restriction pop-up)

My second question is about content management. While the “one-hour rule” is just a proposal, I want to make sure unlawful content is taken down quickly. Ideally, if a video has been uploaded, I’d like an email notification to go out to several people who then have the privilege to set videos to hidden for later review. Can the PeerTube CMS assign this status to videos: not deleted but inaccessible by regular users?

My final question is related to content. Free speech (videos) can be offensive (example). Given the domain name we’ll sooner or later be hosting some controversial content. Any suggestions on what we should take into account, any precautionary measures we could take?

For now the admin can only fill the" terms of use" (textarea). The content warning is an attribute of the video.

My second question is about content management. While the “one-hour rule ” is just a proposal, I want to make sure unlawful content is taken down quickly. Ideally, if a video has been uploaded, I’d like an email notification to go out to several people who then have the privilege to set videos to hidden for later review. Can the PeerTube CMS assign this status to videos: not deleted but inaccessible by regular users?

When a video is reported, an email is sent to the moderators/administrators. Then, you can blacklist it.

Hello Chocobozzz, thank you for your reply. Your response is a little low on details. I feel like I’m still left with some unanswered questions that I hope you’ll be willing to answer, so I can get a better gist of what functionality and text I’ll have to implement and add to the instance myself.

• Terms of use

For now there the admin can fill the terms.

Looking at framatube dot org, I’m guessing you mean the (section on the) « About » page.

• Content warning (or age-restriction pop-up)

The content warning is an attribute of the video.

Okay. For my website, I may then look into adding a general, one-time pop-up that asks the user to confirm they are at least 18 years old or have parental permission to view the website. This pop-up may also need to include one or more of the following:

• General disclaimer
  • Cookie statement
  • Privacy policy

Are any of the above included with PeerTube, for instance as default templates?

• Video removal request form

Ideally, if a video has been uploaded, I’d like an email notification to go out to several people who then have the privilege to set videos to hidden for later review. Can the PeerTube CMS assign this status to videos: not deleted but inaccessible by regular users?

When a video is reported, an email is sent to the moderators/administrators. Then, you can blacklist it.

Is there also functionality that sends out an email notification each time a video has been added, allowing us to keep an eye on what’s happening on the website?

Your answer seems to indicate videos can be reported. For, for example, this video, where would I click to report it? Perhaps I need to be logged in to see this functionality? What does « blacklisting » entail; can moderators still view, then assess and un-blacklist the video?

And, is « reporting » basic functionality merely suitable to report inappropriate content in a general sense, or is there also a video removal request form that allows visitors to file specific complaints/claims/notices related to copyright/trademarks/defamation/etc.?

(By the way, this Discourse forum software behaves problematically when I try to move the cursor around with (Ctrl + ) arrow keys. I don’t know if it’s the « saved » feature, or what, but it’s frustrating that it just doesn’t do as instructed. Surely, I can’t be the first person to notice this…)

Yes, sorry my answer contained a typo. I edited it.

No, not yet. But feel free to create an issue (GitHub - Chocobozzz/PeerTube: ActivityPub-federated video streaming platform using P2P directly in your web browser) so we add them in addition to the terms textaera. We don’t have a video removal request form either, but logged users can report videos.

No, but you have RSS feeds (for example: https://framatube.org/feeds/videos.xml?sort=-publishedAt&filter=local).

Yes, you need to be a logged user to report a video.

Yes, moderators and video owners can still view the video. And of course they can un-blacklist it.