Recurring events

Hello,

It would be very useful to have recurring events, with the ability to edit specific occurrences. Currently I must duplicate an event, re-upload the banner image, and adjust the date / time.

Thanks.

2 « J'aime »

Hi,
Yes, this is a very requested feature. Unfortunately it’s also hard to handle (recurrence rules, exceptions, choosing what content can differ…) so it’s definitely on our long-term roadmap, but won’t come soon.

2 « J'aime »

One option to consider in the interim is an auto-duplicate function similar to what Get Together does. You would just need to store a time interval and an end date. Anyway, thanks for the response!

2 « J'aime »

Just popping in to say this is a pretty key feature in my opinion. Would love to use this for orgs I’m apart of.

1 « J'aime »

I would like to create a Mobilizon server for a community that mostly organizes itself in roundtables. Currently they are organizing themself via Facebook, Meetup, Telegram and various other channels.

These roundtables are by nature a recurring an event, so it is THE essential feature for me. This discussion is almost two years old and a local docker setup showed me nothing changed in between.

So without further ado, lets get it over with :slight_smile:

• What needs to be done to actually implement this feature?
  • Which places do developers need to look into for getting an overview?
  • Would sponsoring the project help to make some progress here?

Hi @tburny,
Thanks for joining the forum and for your feedback.
Indeed recurring events have been discussed since the beginning.
After digging into the business requirements, we found out that most users want to advertize for a recurring event (ex: once a week) but do not have the need nor the will to manage occurences. We found a decent solution for that, which is currently implemented in this instance for example: Keskonfai Kids - Mobilizon
Events longer than one month appear as « activities » and not as « events ». So if you meet once a week, create an event for the whole year, it won’t be in the « agenda » but will be found at any time under « activities ». In case you meet only once month, then I recommand you create separately each monthly meeting - it’s fairly quick with the « duplicate » feature, and is manageable in case you need to change something afterwards.
We’re planning to upstream « activities ». If you feel like sponsoring that, it would be awesome and most welcome, what kind of sponsoring are you thinking about?
Also, do you think that this « activity » feature would cover your need regarding recurring events? If you have some use cases where activities won’t do, whereas managing real recurring events would do, I’d be glad to have a more detailed feedback.
Managing recurring meetings for real would be super complex, especially if you’re thinking about having a « serie » and « occurences » as you might have experienced in outlook for instance. And we should consider also activitypub protocol, which I doubt is fit for it.
A possibility would be to use an « event importer tool » which would be able to process an « RRule » to create all the occurences (copies of the event). I know Framasoft has release an event importer tool, but I haven’t tried it out yet. If you try out please share your feedbacks.