Volunteer webmaster wanted

Volunteer webmaster wanted. The main thing to do is install and setup Peertube server. Other volunteer jobs and some fringe benifits might be available. There might be volunteer job openings for several people. Please recommend a website hosting service for Peertube, and the total cost. If you have extra website hosting service to donate, I might consider using that. If you would like to moderate a forum, tell me what subjects.

This topic is inspired by Looking for people: to brainstorm how a new open source digital payment platform could be done - #5 par EarthlingIB. I tried to install Peertube on localhost to test it, too many problems, got tired and quit. Peertube install instructions. forum rules: new users can only put 2 links in a post.

1 « J'aime »

Hi, I am not admin but let me recommend you YUNOHOST.org.

Install it on your server.
It will manage all your applications, maintenance, even email server :).
You will find a list of available apps and support.

As server (VPS), I recommend Contabo, Contabo🥇Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers for a price you'll love

Nice day

Thank you jrd10 for the recommendation. YunoHost is an operating system. Will PeerTube run on it? If someone wants to use it to do the job, OK. But If I do the admin install job, I will not use YunoHost because:
It will be more to learn, I am overwhelmed already.
It is not standard, which introduces several problems.
It requires internet service provider, I like to test on offline localhost.
Server probably already has operating system.

contabo.com looks like it will do the job and I have found others that are just about the same. I am experienced with unmanaged server. I will discuss this with the admin who does the job. CLOUD VPS Virtual Private Servers
4 vCPU, 8 GB RAM, 32 TB Traffic and 50 GB NVMe. Due Today $76.88
.com Commercial Generic (gTLD) $2.59 Price / month

Yunohost has a web based management system that allows a variety of software, including PeerTube, to be installed with the click of a button. This is much easier for most people than the CLI install, especially when you run into problems.

Unfortunately you would still have to setup a domain and certificates, so it doesn’t solve your offline testing use case…

Thank you errhead for telling me that. Click of a button sounds easy. It is nice to see a simple method that should work. For test I can get:
contabo CLOUD Virtual Private Server
4 vCPU, 8 GB RAM, 32 TB Traffic and 50 GB NVMe. $6.99
.com Commercial Generic (gTLD) $2.59
Debian 10 (Buster)
yunohost raw CD image (556 MB) curl https://install.yunohost.org | bash
Peertube installed with the click of a button.

I will wait and rest a while, I am burnt out. Still no one willing to do it for me, how hard can it be? Here are some problems I forsee:

I do not know certificate.

Peertube documentation any OS includes instructions for installing certificate. You say Yunohost does not follow those certificate instructions?

YunoHost documentation says Debian 10 (Buster) is needed. Will Debian 11 work?

I have tried the web based management system installatron. Results were poor. YunoHost forum also shows problems. But I can try. I have never had problems with manual installation of simple programs. Peertube is not simple.

Later I would like to install peertube onto offline localhost.

Yunohost v11 was released 4 days ago, and is based on Debian 11.

Someone said he tried to install YunoHost on my VPS.
Then I tried. [code]

root@aaa:~# curl https://install.yunohost.org | bash
Configuring libhyperscan5
This CPU lacks support for the Supplemental Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 │
(SSSE3) instruction set that is required to execute programs linked │
against hyperscan.

Really install package?
[FAIL] Unable to update the system

Really install package?
[FAIL] Unable to update the system

root@aaa:~# sudo apt install cpuid
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libgnutls-dane0 linux-image-5.10.0-13-amd64
Use ‹ sudo apt autoremove › to remove them.
The following NEW packages will be installed:
cpuid
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/117 kB of archives.
After this operation, 410 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up yunohost (11.0.9.14) …
Backing up /etc/ldap/slapd.d in /var/backups/slapd-2.4.57+dfsg-3+deb11u1… done.
Moving old database directory to /var/backups:

• directory unknown… done.
    Creating initial configuration… done.
    Creating LDAP directory… done.
    Initializing LDAP with YunoHost DB structure
    nginx: [emerg] unknown directive « lua_shared_dict » in /etc/nginx/conf.d/ssowat.conf:1
    nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed
    dpkg: error processing package yunohost (–configure):
    installed yunohost package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    yunohost
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    [/code]
    I guess the error message says YunoHost will not work on my CPU?
    Now after I ran sudo apt install cpuid, I get some other error messages. Is there an easy way to get back to debian or should I just re-install everything?

Hi there, I checked your old post in 2022. You were then hoping to install peertube.

I am struggling with this too. How is everything going on with your installation.

Did you have your site up and running?

I can use yunohost, it’s just the server blocks the SMTP port. The peertube installation through yunohost needs to send out root password through email.

I think my problem was the VPS had only one core. I got a better VPS, but now I need it for something else. It sounds like the applications each require a dedicated server, meaning only one can be installed at a time. I do not have my site up and running. I would still like to try this someday. I am not in much of a thinking mood right now. It might help if someone gives a detailed install log, which would include a system check. Of course, for public viewing, confidential information would have to be changed, like password and address.

I may be willing to help. Let me know if you are still interested.

Thank you royce. It has been one year since I posted this. Now low on money. I can not do as much as I used to, I get tired easily. I am still interested in getting help. Setup Peertube server will have to wait until I get an available good VPS. I have a website with many videos to download. Would you like to improve the site? I can give the address in personal message if this forum has that ability. I would also like to install forum, classified ad, etc. on the old VPS I have. Would you like to do that? I know how, just too tired.