Weird compression artifacts in video

Hi,

I just installed a Peertube installation via Yunohost and am having fun testing it out!

I uploaded some video from a GoPro and got some really weird video artifacts, visible in this video from the 40 second mark forward. Is there anything I can do to solve this?

The video is actually the second time I uploaded this file, this time with more output format resolutions activated, but the problems appear across all resolutions. Other video’s I uploaded don’t have this problem. I don’t really know what I can try to fix this, or even what to call this behavior so I can effectively do a search for it.

If it’s a specific video having the problem, I’d try uploading to a video host like youtube or odysee and see if it has the same issue. If it doesn’t work there either, then it’s a problem with the video and you’d need to look at repairing it. If it does work there, then import that copy into PeerTube and see if it works or still gets the artificating.

1 « J'aime »

I would call this mpeg artifact jitter or dropped mpeg keyframes since it looks like the full frames that are delivered periodically in mpeg are not registering, so the artifacts pile up. Do your other gopro videos of same format have the same problem?

Sorry for the really late reply here, I got swamped with other stuff.

I uploaded one video to Youtube (while holding my nose):

And uploaded a few more video’s on my peertube which all share the weird artifacts:
https://video.treuzel.de/videos/watch/1608dbbb-74b3-42d1-a1df-aa664caf5e07
http s://video.treuzel.de/videos/watch/9725da68-ca9a-44a1-8ed2-c4df1810ee17

Not as bad in this one though :thinking:
http s://video.treuzel.de/videos/watch/cd028bfb-6d93-4b83-9be4-02a4647eacee

Especially the road seems very susceptible to becoming a stationary grey pixel soup…

(I had to break the links to be able to share them…)

I tried looking for some compression or codec options but couldn’t find that in the GUI config.

I did see some people discuss changing this in a config file but couldn’t find that location or a explanation for what to do yet. I’m willing to try changing that if someone can point me in the right direction?

I see this as a test instance at the moment, so I’m not too worried about messing with the configuration.

I missed this suggestion the first time (read over it), but I tried again. This is the video imported from youtube:
http s://video.treuzel.de/videos/watch/30e4896f-5949-46c6-a5cc-5e4b824330ea

This is the exact same video as the one shared earlier, but when it is imported via Youtube there is no weird artifacting. I don’t know what this tells me so maybe you can give me some hints?

I also installed the transcoding-profile-debug plugin, but I don’t have a clue where to even start with inputting different values there. Are these just ffmpeg settings?

That pretty much nails it down to FFMPEG, What version do you have installed? An upgrade/downgrade may resolve it.

Another late reply… I just got back from my holiday.

Let me see:

admin@treuzel:~$ ffmpeg -version
ffmpeg version 4.1.6-1~deb10u1Copyright (c) 2000-2020 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 8 (Debian 8.3.0-6)
configuration: --prefix=/usr --extra-version='1~deb10u1' --toolchain=hardened --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --incdir=/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu --arch=amd64 --enable-gpl --disable-stripping --enable-avresample --disable-filter=resample --enable-avisynth --enable-gnutls --enable-ladspa --enable-libaom --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libcdio --enable-libcodec2 --enable-libflite --enable-libfontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libjack --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libmysofa --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopenmpt --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-librsvg --enable-librubberband --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx265 --enable-libxml2 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzmq --enable-libzvbi --enable-lv2 --enable-omx --enable-openal --enable-opengl --enable-sdl2 --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libdrm --enable-libiec61883 --enable-chromaprint --enable-frei0r --enable-libx264 --enable-shared
libavutil      56. 22.100 / 56. 22.100
libavcodec     58. 35.100 / 58. 35.100
libavformat    58. 20.100 / 58. 20.100
libavdevice    58.  5.100 / 58.  5.100
libavfilter     7. 40.101 /  7. 40.101
libavresample   4.  0.  0 /  4.  0.  0
libswscale      5.  3.100 /  5.  3.100
libswresample   3.  3.100 /  3.  3.100
libpostproc    55.  3.100 / 55.  3.100

In the meanwhile a update to Peertube came out. Which I installed. I also performed the following command to reinstall ffmpeg:

admin@treuzel:~$  sudo apt-get --reinstall install ffmpeg
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  php-fpdf
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/1,434 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 55444 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../ffmpeg_7%3a4.1.6-1~deb10u1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking ffmpeg (7:4.1.6-1~deb10u1) over (7:4.1.6-1~deb10u1) ...
Setting up ffmpeg (7:4.1.6-1~deb10u1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...

No changes in the results yet…