Mobilizon-nous!

Message in english will follow

Chère communauté Mobilizon,

Setop et moi contribuons à Mobilizon depuis le début du projet et hébergeons plusieurs instances (https://keskonfai.fr et https://kids.keskonfai.com sont accessibles à tous).

Nous cherchions une alternative aux groupes et événements facebook, mais Mobilizon s’est révélé être bien plus que ça. Avoir des instances dédiées à des communautés et des territoires, qui sont interconnectées entre elle, ça peut tout déchirer.

Nous souhaitons continuer le projet en collaboration avec la communauté:

• comprendre ce que les utilisateurs et administrateurs d’instances souhaitent, pour prioriser les demandes d’évolutions les plus pertinentes

• améliorer l’interface et l’accessibilité

• développer l’interopérabilité

Notre rêve, c’est que Mobilizon:

• devienne connu et utilisé de tous, un peu comme les Frama-forms

• soit utilisé pour créer des instances thématiques

• se développe autour d’un modèle économique qui profite au plus grand nombre (hébergeurs, support, développement), pour que les coûts de communication liés aux événements locaux ne profitent plus aux GAFAM.

C’est possible, mais pas gagné non plus!

Comme Framasoft arrête de financer Mobilizon, nous devons trouver de nouveaux financements.

Comme nous souhaitons faire un travail collaboratif avec la communauté, nous devons trouver des moyens de communication et de gouvernance sympas et efficaces.

Comme il y a très peu de contributeurs en dehors de Framasoft, nous devons construire une équipe et des compétences.

Nous allons relever ces défis si nous avons le support de la communauté. Il y a une vraie émulation autour de Mobilizon, de nombreuses instances et utilisateurs, d’excellentes idées qui souvent convergent pour enrichir l’outil, le projet mérite de continuer.

Si vous le pensez aussi, laissez un petit commentaire pour qu’on sache que vous êtes partant pour l’aventure.

Hello dear Mobilizon community,

Setop and I have been contributing to Mobilizon from the start, and are running several instances (https://keskonfai.fr and https://kids.keskonfai.com are open to subscription).

We were attracted by the fact it could be an alternative to Facebook groups and events, and found along the way that it could be much more than that. With instances dedicated to a community or a territory which are interconnected, it could be a game changer.

We want to continue develop this project together with the community:

• listen to what users and instance admin want, in order to sort out the backlog and start with the weighted shortest job first

• improve the UX

• develop interoperability

Our dream is that Mobilizon:

• becomes mainstream, being as widespread as Frama-forms for instance

• thrives with many lively thematic instances

• provides revenue to as many people as possible, hosters, support team, developers,… Making so that advertizing for local events benefits the locals and not the GAFAM.

There is quite a way to go!

As Framasoft is not funding Mobilizon anymore, we need to find new revenues.

As we want to involve the community in the roadmap, we have to find nice and efficient ways to interact and build a governance.

As there are very few active contributors besides Framasoft, we need to built a core team with shared skills.

We will meet these challenges if we get support from the community. Mobilizon is already strong of many instances, many users and very good improvement ideas which are more and more mature, we can just not let it go.

If you feel the same, please leave a comment so we know you’re in.

11 « J'aime »

Bonjour à tous !
Partant pour l’aventure !

2 « J'aime »

Hey, nice to read about your vision for Mobilizon.

We are a small group that operates a few regional instances in germany. To use Mobilizon for our needs, we had to modifiy it quite a bit, so we are somewhat involved in Mobilizon development by now. From this work, we managed to already send a few patches upstream, with many more to follow.

A few months ago we laid out our vision for Mobilizon, in which we also declared that we’d be interested to participate in that future governance.

In regards to shaping a future governance, it would be nice to hear from @tcit or Framasoft in general, how the transition to a community run project would look like in practice?

So, consider us interested!

3 « J'aime »

So good to hear!

Si vous avez besoin d’un incompétent en matière de développement, mais qui utilise Mobilizon (depuis peu) et qui partage votre vision, alors je plonge. Longuement utilisé par le système marchand comme exécuteur des basses oeuvres marketing, commerciales, de formation, d’organisation, peut être pourrais-je apporter quelques idées et mettre en oeuvre les innovations qui ne manqueront pas d’enrichir et de pérenniser le modèle. ++

2 « J'aime »

Salut Salut, merci pour le petit rappel par mail car nous n’étions pas sur Framacolibri :slight_smile:

Avec Courts-Circuits 47 et BOC47, dans le Lot-et-Garonne, nous sommes partants pour contribuer à ce que Mobilizon continue à exister et à développer l’alternative aux évènements facebook, plutôt sur le volet usage que dev :wink:

A très vite !

3 « J'aime »

Salut ! C’est un beau projet !
IndieHosters aimerait aussi contribuer à pérenniser Mobilizon. Pour l’instant, je pense qu’on peut juste offrir du retour d’expérience usagers/hébergeur, notre opinion et de l’hébergement si ça peut libérer de la charge pour des devs.

3 « J'aime »

I just saw the post at Mobilisation V4: the maturity stage – Framablog and I am very happy to see that another organization is taking over the maintenance of the project. I was considering to start an instance here in Brazil, but I was a bit afraid because I wasn’t sure if the project would continue to have a community. Now I have more hope and I expect to start helping the project too

There is one thing that in my opinion would help a lot to increase the size of the community. As a not native English speaker, I also don’t really like to have to use it as I would do in Brazilian Portuguese, but, being very pragmatic, this is the more common second language of everyone in the tech world, so I believe that it would be beneficial if this was the main language for the discussions of the project. I don’t feel welcome if most communications are in French as it is another barrier for me to contribute.

2 « J'aime »

Bonjour !
Content de voir des bonnes volontés pour reprendre Mobilizon.

Je suis déjà admin d’une instance Mobilizon, et bientôt d’une seconde, et j’espère participer à rendre cet outil populaire.

J’aimerais un jour pouvoir prendre le temps de me plonger dans le code source, mais je maitrise pas assez la techno pour le moment, donc je promets rien.

3 « J'aime »

Hello, je suis et crois en Mobilizon depuis ses débuts, j’ai hâte de voir la suite quel que soit la structure et l’équipe qui la porte. Je n’ai clairement pas le temps ni l’énergie de contribuer au code mais je suis toujours prêt à partager mes idées et priorité (interfaçage avec une api de paiement, statuts pré-inscrit, validé⋅e… ou statuts personnalisés, formulaire d’inscription…)

Et je suis ravi de voir les fonctions d’import d’événement vers Mobilizon (j’aimerais aussi pouvoir exporter depuis Mobilizon vers des plateformes tierces, mais de ce que je comprends, les webhooks, flux RSS et ICS ouvrent cette voie)

2 « J'aime »

Hello, I am creating a US-based Mobilizon instance. I am very pleased to see this discussion and the active interest from @Lahax and @potsdamn and others to help build and sustain this project. After establishing a v3 server and testing with a few groups and events, I think I may prefer to start over with the @potsdamn fork as I have many of the same wishes for changes in the UI.

For anyone interested, the focus for my instance is a privacy-focused (no big tech) instance with strong trust and safety moderation (no nazis). It will be based in the US so primarily English language events, but English is not a requirement. I am not planning to limit events to a specific region or locale.

I am also planning to charge a small fee to group admins, to keep hosting and moderation costs sustainable. I am also planning to limit event creation to group admins, and to require a login for RSVP.

I learned about the project from one of the Mastodon admins at https://infosec.exchange

I have some development and FOSS experience but I am not familiar with many of the core tools used in Mobilizon so I may be of little help. But I am happy to try. :wave:

With many apologies, a French translation (I hope):

Bonjour, je crée une instance américaine de Mobilizon. Je suis très heureux de voir cette discussion et l’intérêt actif de l’initiative «Lahax» et «potsdamn et d’autres pour aider à construire et à soutenir ce projet. Après avoir établi un serveur v3 et testé avec quelques groupes et événements, je pense que je préfère peut-être recommencer avec la fourchette de dracon de l’Atpotsdamn car j’ai beaucoup des mêmes souhaits de changements dans l’interface utilisateur.

Pour tous ceux qui sont intéressés, l’accent est mis sur mon cas axé sur la vie privée (pas de grande technologie) avec une forte confiance et une forte modération de la sécurité (pas de nazis). Il sera basé aux États-Unis, donc principalement des événements de langue anglaise, mais l’anglais n’est pas une exigence. Je ne prévois pas de limiter les événements à une région ou un local spécifique.

Je prévois également de facturer une petite redevance aux administrateurs de groupe, afin de maintenir les coûts d’hébergement et de modération durables. Je prévois également de limiter la création d’événements aux administrateurs de groupe, et d’exiger une connexion pour RSVP.

J’ai appris le projet de l’un des administrateurs de Mastodon à l’adresse https://infosec.exchange

J’ai une certaine expérience du développement et des logiciels libres, mais je ne connais pas beaucoup d’outils de base utilisés dans Mobilizon, donc je n’ai peut-être guère d’aide. Mais je suis heureux d’essayer.

1 « J'aime »

Hello, j’utilise et cherche à faire connaître Mobilizon pour que d’autres l’utilisent (dur).

Super qu’une communauté se crée pour la suite de Mobilizon !

Merci !

Great that a community is starting to follow up with Mobilizon !
Go on !

My apologies, last week was such a rush that I didn’t have time to answer.

Hello, I’m one of Framasoft’s co-directors.

We are really happy that another structure wants to take the wheel on Mobilizon. We feel that we completed our vision and we know we must pace ourselves and concentrate on other projects. That’s why we announced that we would not support further developments on Mobilizon, but would happily give the governance to whom has a vision and the drive to lead to it : Mobilizon V4: the maturity stage – Framablog

In practice, @lahax’s team has already rights to the code repo, as they have contributed to it.

As the community seems to share our enthousiasm for this new vision, we would just need to (finish our end-of-year campaign get some rest and then in early 2024) make a joint statement to announce the change of leadership, and then give them rights/access over the tools around Mobilizon.

I hope that answers your question!

2 « J'aime »

Salut @Lahax du côté de chez nous (Infini) on suit l’évolution de la communauté et on contribuera à hauteur de notre capacité. Du fait de notre toute jeune instance,

Nous allons mettre un gros coup de lumière sur Mobilizon dans la région de Brest à la fin du printemps/début été.

1 « J'aime »

Introduction message in french → english will follow

Nous avons des contributeurs à l’étranger (Allemagne @potsdamn , Brésil @rennerocha , US @CoreyRSVPStreet …) qui souhaitent que les échanges se fassent en anglais. Framasoft a tout fait depuis le début pour permettre leur inclusion et nous souhaitons continuer (avouons, c’est plutôt excitant!).

Ce que je propose c’est que chacun:

• utilise le langage qu’il souhaite sur ce forum, en préférant l’anglais quand ça lui est possible

• utilise la traduction du navigateur quand c’est nécessaire (ça fonctionne plutôt pas mal)

Je continue donc ci-dessous en anglais.

It’s a great pleasure to see that the community is so active and willing, regarding technical contributions, functional contributions and as users or Mobilizon instance admin (or future ones).

Many thanks for your messages, they are heartwarming and very motivating.

I feel like we should tell a bit more about Kaihuri’s on-going project for Mobilizon, and also clarify what we can do and what we won’t, so you know what to expect from us.

Project

We’ll receive a funding from NLNet towards the development of Mobilizon: NLnet; Mobilizon UX

Now we have to make the best use of it, and it’s not a simple task. We’re free to use it as we want, as long as there are deliveries which are validated by NLNet. Unfortunately we already know that we won’t be able to meet all the requirements expressed in this forum. But we need to start somewhere and after quite a lot of brain twisting we’ve decided on some milestones. I’ll create dedicated posts on this forum for of those milestones, where anyone can express their requirements or any other feedback – wait for it :wink:

Milestone 1 – upstream existing developments

We, as instance admin, have had to tweak Mobilizon a bit to suit our needs. I know @potsdamn and @hrenard also have, and maybe there are more out there.

If those instance admin agree to it, we’d like to upstream their developments, so that they can benefit to all. It would make it easier for those admin instances to migrate to the latest version, and we assume that what is already develop is much in line with users’ needs.

Milestone 2 – redesign the front page

That’s most users entry point to Mobilizon. Some of the forum users would like the possibility to personalize it more (ex: Customizing Mobilizon instance home page and other content - #4 par gregorSamsa), so do we.

Milestone 3 – search page and search results

That’s the second area where we’ll revisit the UX, hopefully tackling the grievance found in this post: Réparer l'UX/UI de Mobilizon V3

Milestone 4 – interoperability

Framasoft has done a lot of work and we think it’s so very important that we’ll spend some energy on documenting it, with examples and use cases.

What we’ll do

Welcome and merge contributions.

We’ll do our very best to merge any contribution, but if you’re thinking of doing a big one, we recommend you reach out to us as soon as possible, so we can together make sure that contributions are enriching each other and are not redundant or involuntarily diverging. A post on this forum is the best way to initiate such discussion, moreover anyone can share it’s view point.

Host instances

We offer hosting instances as a service. We see this as a possible income for us, which would help towards maintaining the project on the long run. If you’d like to create a new instance, you can turn to us for implementing and hosting it. I know there are other Mobilizon hosters around so we could deal with many such requests :slight_smile:

What we won’t do

Support

We’re doing volunteer work or almost, on evenings and week-end. We don’t offer any user support, except if we host your instance and are paid for that.

Anyone is free to reach out to the community for help, and we encourage those who can to answer them.

Deal with non listed topics – including bugs

We’ll give full priority to the topics listed as milestones, and we won’t be able to address anything outside of this scope, at least for the first months or even the first year.

As stated before, if there is something you need, you’ll have to get it developed by your own means. What we can do is merge it for you, and maybe help you source a developer.

This limitation includes bug fixing – we don’t commit on fixing all the bugs, especially if they are neither on the home page nor the search page nor the search results. That’s not out of interest, but because we have limited bandwidth. This shouldn’t refrain you for asking for new functionalities nor reporting bugs, it will build some backlog we hope we can attend to at some point.

Thanks for reading and thanks for being part of Mobilizon community!

4 « J'aime »

Thanks for carrying on the great work of Mobilizon developpement, @Lahax & co. :grinning:

As for my contribution, I’ll carry on posting some feedback from time to time, and build mobilizon communities in Nantes to make them grow. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 « J'aime »

Long time no see Meldane. Yes please keep developing Mobilizon locally and give feedbacks, we count on you :slight_smile:

1 « J'aime »

Hi everybody :slightly_smiling_face:

I would love to participate on the future of Mobilizon. Is there any dedicated chat/messaging app to discuss easily ?

Thanks !

1 « J'aime »

Bonsoir, je suis ultra convaincu que Mobilizon peux apporter un vent de fraicheur dans les vies associative qui peine à communiquer et fédérer leurs agenda ensemble.

Je pense qu’il faudrait penser l’outil Mobilizon comme un agenda indépendant et intégrable dans n’importe quel site ou page html. (avec un iframe). Chaque structure doit pouvoir déléguer en interne la gestion de l’agenda à des personnes qui ne soient pas forcément des développeurs.

Proposer un moyen pour une structure plus englobante de fédérer avec micro filtrage des agendas de différentes autres structures.

Je suis partant pour m’investir dans la partie Front-end et UX de l’application.

2 « J'aime »

Hello!
You’re more than welcome.
The forum is a good place, it’s more structured.
Also if you want to contribute to the code there is a repo of course.